Old Time Roofing is a big believer in proper roofing maintenance. Did you know that the most important aspect of roof maintenance has nothing to do with the materials on top? Insulation is what we’re referring to. Insulating your attic properly not only benefits the interior of your house but also ensures that your roof lasts longer and is more durable in winter. Continue reading to learn more about attic insulation and how it can help your roof last longer.
How proper attic insulation can help your roof
- Ice Dams – When winter temperatures drop to extreme lows and snow begins to fall on your roof’s roof, ice dams can form. These are the long icicle-like things that hang above your roof. Ice dams can cause severe roof damage and are extremely dangerous for anyone who walks under them. This is not something to worry about in Arizona where the temperatures don’t drop below freezing. If you live in a region that gets snow in winter, insulation will make your roof warmer and less likely to become ice dammed.
- Failing Roof Materials – Attic insulation locks in temperatures and reduces air loss. This is vital for increasing comfort and reducing energy consumption. As we have already mentioned, your roof system must also be able to lock in the temperatures. Your roofing materials can crack or break if there are more temperature swings on your roof. This is especially true for roofs that have suffered any type of damage. This brings us to the next point…
- Water Damage – If your roof has been subject to a severe storm, or was hit with heavy rains, it may start to absorb water, which could lead to water damage. Sagging roof decks, rusted nails or cracked tiles can all be signs of this. Properly insulating your roof will reduce the chance of water damage. The roof’s temperature will be higher and any moisture will evaporate faster.
- Mold Growth- Another side effect of water damage is? Mold growth. Mold growth can cause a bad odor and a funny-looking house. In addition to causing a health problem, it can also lead to a decrease in your overall health. Did you know that mold can also cause roof damage? As we mentioned above, if your attic has proper insulation, it is less likely to retain moisture that could lead to mold growth.
- Additional Interior Damage – As roof damage accumulates over time, you might start to see blowback in your home. This could lead to cracks, drafts, leaks, sagging and even roof collapses. Insulating your attic can help reduce temperature fluctuations and water damage that can lead to these issues. The bottom line is that while insulation is not enough to protect your roof, it can make your home more comfortable and ensure your roofing system lasts many years.
Old Time Roofing can help you learn more about roofing and schedule an appointment. Call us today. Contact us online to request a repair or replacement of your roof.
This post was written by Ted Williams! Ted is the owner of A Old Time Roofing which is the premier roofing contractors in Clearwater FL! Ted is a Master Elite Weather Stopper GAF Roofing Contractor, a double award winner of Best Steep-Slope Contractor from GAF and achiever of Master Elite Consumer Protection Excellence from GAF. He has been serving the Pinellas County area since 1978. Old Time Roofing has a tradition of quality workmanship, servicing residential and commercial properties.